Definition: ‘ . . . they are the everyday people of unusual vision who give progress a forward push. When the owners of these special gifts allow themselves to shut out the world and listen to a place deep inside, they hear the voice of their inner agenda. And when they grow to trust it, they begin to hear the call of evolution itself.” Pg. 90 The Gifted Adult: A Revolutionary Guide for Liberating Everyday Genius by Mary-Elaine Jacobsen, Psy. D., 1999
“And then, just as I was getting close to something really important and promising about myself, my internal critic started in with sarcastic remarks about having been a mediocre student, chiding me for how I could have gone to Harvard or Stanford if I’d put forth any kind of effort at all. I didn’t try a lot of things because I had always maintained that I needed a sparkling list of credentials to be a person deserving of opportunity. I realized that when I felt guilty, as though I disappointed the collective ‘everybody,’ I was really ashamed because I’d cheated myself more than anyone else.” Leonard, pg 69
Are you relentlessly curious and creative, always willing to rock the boat in order to get things done . . . extremely energetic and focused, yet constantly switching gears . . . intensely sensitive, able to intuit subtly charged situations and decipher others’ feelings? (Gifted Adults: A Revolutionary Guide for Liberating Everyday Genius, Mary-Elaine Jacobsen, Psy.D., 1999).
Gifted adults often live inside a paradox wherein they appreciate the creative view they bring to work and life, and at the same time, feel out of place and not accepted due to their unusual “take” on things.
When coaching gifted adults, it is my goal to first and foremost support them to rediscover and appreciate their unique perspective and voice. Then secondly to share that unique perspective and voice in such a way that the rest of the world can benefit from them. When that happens, we all win.
What can you expect from our coaching?
The first phase of coaching is a 10 week program. During that time you will:
- Learn about the opportunities and challenges of being a gifted adult
- Begin to see how you yourself are the source of your own experience
- Identify the negative life pattern you wish to transform and the core emotional narrative that is driving it
- Bring awareness to how that core emotional narrative (the story you told yourself) is driving the very behaviors that keep creating the life pattern you are ready to break through
- Redefine your emotional narrative from a wiser and more adult place
- Begin generating new behaviors that create quantum leaps in your life results